Monday, October 13, 2008

New Macbooks Launch Tomorrow- Feeling Blissful

Ever since Jen and I bought our Macbook G4 back in 2005, I have waited for the day to rid myself of the duldrum that is a Windows-based PC. We have an E-Machines tower we bought a couple of years ago because my other Windows laptop died and I needed something to get by for a while. Slowly but surely, the computer has been getting bogged down and after a few hours of use must be turned off to let the circuitry refresh and respond to commands properly. How crazy is that? 

As perviously stated, we bought our little Macbook G4 (1.33MHz/512MB RAM/40GB Drive) and it has completely out-performed this Windows machine (2.2MHz/512MB RAM/180GB Drive). In the past three and a half years, we have rebooted the Mac three times because it would not respond! I have to it more than that each week on the desktop... It is constantly unable to close programs, takes 20 seconds to open any internet browser, and freezes up constantly. Alas, my time has finally come. 

I was close to buying a new Macbook in July, but decided to wait after hearing rumors that new Macbooks were to be released in September. It was only a 6 week wait- the Windows machine could hold up 'til then, right? I wish I could say it was easy. Little by litte, the Windows machine continued to falter and sputter and September came and went without a Macbook event. Then rumors of an October launch started. Great- another 4 week wait... Last week almost past without a Macbook event invite and I truly started to grip about my decision. All of the rumors flying around talked of a complete renovation of the Macbook line. I decided to hedge my bets on October, knowing that if the Macbook event was not going to be official by October 14, I would just by a lower-line Macbook and wait until next year to buy a new generation Mac. 

Last week was as much a relief as it was filled with excitement. Tomorrow, we will see if my gamble has paid off. I am sure it will pay great dividends, but how much is the true question. Either way- I win: I get to toss this Windows machine out on the street by week's end. Some things in life are truly worth the wait, and this is one of them. 

An upcomming blog soon giving my review of my new Macbook!

1 comment:

webgirl said...

Happy MacBook day, Mike! Hope they ship soon.