Sunday, February 8, 2009

Gabriel and Baseball



With the daffodils making their first appearance this year, it is also time for us to talk to Gabriel about playing sports this spring. Once again, Gabriel has chosen to play baseball instead of that wretched sport that does nothing but inhibit hand-eye coordination (known as soccer). Fortunately, it was an easy sell this year! Baseball laid a beat-down to that other crappy activity. It really wasn't a fair fight- that other crappy activity didn't stand a chance! Initially Gabriel said he wanted to play baseball because, "Dad loves baseball." While I did not disagree with his logic, I did want him to formulate a better reason for his motives. I left the room to allow for Jen to discuss the matter with him in an unbiased forum. After about 3 minutes, he came out and told me that he wanted to play baseball because it was fun and he like to hit the ball and run the bases. I was happy with his reasoning wither way, but better his mother to hear the newest reason for his intent to play rather than his initial logic.

This year, we moved Gabriel from the kids' league that doesn't compete to a league that does promote competition, keeps score, tallies winners and losers and builds self-esteem and rewards hard work and practice. We went to signups and talked to one of the administers of the league. He advised us that the birthday cut-off was April 30. That means Gabriel will be playing as a 6-year-old for most of the year in a 5-year-old division. As big as he is right now (50 inches tall, 68 pounds), he is going to be an absolute monster in this league. Recognizing this, the administrator asked if we have a copy of his birth certificate. Immediately, it dawned on me that this would be something that I would probably want to carry with me every Saturday in case some crazy parent challenges his age in the league. I advised the admin that I would carry it with me in his baseball bag from that point on.

Both the 5 & 6-year-old leagues are T-Ball, something that Gabriel is not accustomed to any longer. He has been able to hit pitches tossed from about 20 feet since he was 4. Going back to a tee is not something I am terribly happy about, but that won't stop me from tossing him a few while in the backyard away from practice....

No comments: