Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Eating Fish-One Step at a Time

Each week Jen and I go to the store, I enjoy looking at the seafood case in our local Publix Grocery Store. The people are very knowledgeable  and I have become more and more curious in trying some of the fish in the case. Over the past several weeks, I finally decided to buy a piece of salmon. I figured that it would only cost a few dollars to try it- what do I have to lose?
With the butcher's help, we found a great piece for me to try for about $3.00. If I learned one thing catching, boiling, and eating crabs, I learned that I cannot cook seafood without having a lot of Old Bay Seasoning. I picked up a bottle of Old Bay and placed it with my fish. I learned that I only had to cook the fish about 8 minutes so as to not dry it out. A day later, I returned home to eat lunch and determined that this was the day that I was going to eat my salmon. I prepared my skillet by using about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I then liberally covered my salmon with Old Bay, pepper, and salt. Placing it in the skillet, it immediately started to cook and blacken nicely. I flipped it over once and after about 8 minutes, pulled it off the stove. Much to my surprise, it was quite wonderful! The seasoning was fantastic which reminded me of my grandfather, which made it so much better. I have cooked it a couple of times since then and it has been great each time. My parents and sister are vegetarians, so I told my dad that a day that I do not eat beef, pork, or chicken should be praised. I really don't think fish should count. It's FISH. I am eating less mammal and bird in order to  adding fish to my normal cooking routine.

I am starting to feel a bit more adventurous from a taste perspective. If I can eat salmon, what else should I try? Well, that question was answered when we went to Fuji Japanese Steakhouse tonight. Still feeling wild in the tastebud department. I told Jen that I was interested in trying sushi tonight. Anyone that knows me understands that I am very particular about what my food in consistancy, and eating food cold is not something that I am not comfortable with, but I felt that it was the right time to try something new. I finally decided on an Alaskan Roll- salmon, avocado, and cucumber wrapped in seaweed and rice. Why not? I now know that I like salmon, but not very sure about avocado...

The waitress finally brings my plate out and I take my first bite into the world of raw fish. It actually did not have a lot of flavor whatsoever. I added some wasabi, which I did not really taste either. After adding a bit of soy sauce, I ate all 6 pieces on the plate. Amazingly, it is a lot heavier on the stomach than I anticipated. I was pretty full after 6 pieces. It was actually decent. I doubt that it is something that I will ever crave, but it was something that I plan on eating again sometime.  I will have to find another type that may be more pleasing, but I would definitely eat more of it in the future. Who knows what I may try next? Talk to you again soon!

No comments: