Wednesday, May 6, 2009

IVF- The Time Has Come


Jennifer and I have finally started the medications for our IVF cycle in April. For starters, we had to take a Z-Pack in order to kill any bacteria in our bodies. That was easy- just a bunch of pills to take over a 5 day period. Then it was on to the next step- shots.

As you are aware, Jen is morbidly afraid of shots. The fact that she must go through a series of shots to complete the IVF cycle is appropriate because it is what Jen fears the most- needles. The shots that she is taking is administered through the body using a syringe that matches an insulin needle. It also must be administered in the stomach area. Of course- she is not going to do the shots herself, so I have been enlisted to perform the action on her behalf. That did not make me happy becuase I hate putting her through this discomfort and pain. 

The first time was very tough. I hated doing it because I know how much she dreaded it. She did a great job considering the circumstances. I was proud at the way she handled herself. I did a decent job with the first one, but got much better as the days progressed. Jen is getting better about taking the shots as well. She was not freaking out all that much after the first week.

This week she started the new medicine: Bravelle, which requires a larger needle and more liquid being injected. Jen began to freak out a bit and I finally administered the second shot to her. This one hurt a lot more. So much so, that when she took the first injection she laughed because she had a reference of what was really painful. She has made it through 3 of the Bravelle shots and now must double the dosage. Therefore, she must now take a Bravelle shot in the morning and evening. She is showing great fortitude and I have been encouraging her each step of the way. Keep us in your prayers- we are getting closer to the big day!

No comments: