Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A New Window to the World

I love technology. I love finding tools, gizmos, and gadgets that make life faster, easier, or more fun. I love text messaging because it allows communication at a distance and adds to the instant gratification our society desires. Heck- blogging allows me to write an open letter to all people interested and keep a bizarre type of 21st Century diary...

For quite some time, my sister has been on me to join Twitter. She has been on it for quite a while and has told me that I really need to be a part of it. What's in it for me? Her response was simple- "It allows you to tell everyone what you're doing." Okay, but why do I really want to do that? I don't really care to know all of that about anyone. But- she is my sister and she is quite tech savvy as well, so I opened an account several months ago. I started to create my account and had to provide and email address and my cell number if I wanted my updates delivered to my phone. That wasn't something I was looking forward to divulging. I have an easy email address and an even easier cell number. If I am forced to change it because my info was sold to some marketing company, I am not going to be happy about it. After creating my account, I immediately chickened out and closed my account. How pathetic is that? I didn't like having to provide that information.

Months later, I was listening to my favorite radio show and heard Coach John Calipari (a guest on the show) give out his Twitter ID to follow him on his transition to Kentucky. I like him a lot and he has such an inspiring vibe about him. So I rejoined Twitter and began to follow him. Obviously, I also began to follow my sister, mother, and a couple of others that I knew had accounts. Then it clicked. I got it. I realized that this was one step further from society. Allow me to explain.

In the past, we communicated face-to-face. Next, telephones allowed us to communicate verbally without any visual contact. Then we create the Web and email, which eliminates the verbal communication provided by telephone. It also allows for one to send a message when time permits and the recipient to read whenever they have time. SMS (or text messaging) became vogue as a short message that allows a person to communicate is written bursts. Make a statement, go about your business. Instantly respond and continue what you are doing. Another step away from personal communication. Finally, Twitter- basically the most impersonal way to communicate to others. Now we can just shoot out a mass message that is not directed toward anyone in particular.

People have continuously said that the Web has brought the world closer together, but the converse is also true. We no longer have any real need for personal communication. We are able to distance and isolate ourselves further and further from one another. We can hide behind keyboards and shield ourselves with our cell phones. It is quite disheartening. Is it any wonder that people are so depressed living in a world where we continue separate ourselves from one another?

That said- I have thoroughly enjoyed Twitter. I am having a great time with it. If you wish to follow me, you may. Search for me: @mrogerson. I would appreciate it. I am making my sister proud. Thanks, Michelle- I am not sure what you have done to me and I am not sure if it is for better or worse. I guess we will see as time drifts on...

Get out of the tech world for a minute or two and do something novel- give someone a hug! That should be more instantly gratifying than any technological advance in our society.

1 comment:

missy said...

Mike, you are so right about technology taking us further and further from personal communication and ultimately reality!!! Atleast we remember face to face communication and telephone calls. Poor kids these days are being saturated with technology. It really makes it hard on teachers (here comes my soap box) not teaching academics- technology often helps that- but social skills. Too much time is being spent on conflict management and teaching cooperative behavior to children. So don't forget to put your child on that Tball team, play those board games, make those puzzles, limit TV/video games and model heathly social skills. They are watching when we think they are not!