Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Take Me Home

This post is named after the closing tune from every Phil Collins concert I have ever seen. What a great song...

Whenever the Tennessee Rogersons head east, it is typically during the summer months so we can enjoy the sun, ocean, and water parks that Virginia Beach has to offer. Every couple of years, we also make an attempt to head home to have a pseudo-Christmas some time in the beginning of December to exchange gifts and to enjoy each other's company. It is hard not to be home during the holidays. At this point in my life, I feel like each year that goes by without Christmas at home makes it easier than the year before. However, I know that each year that goes by is one less chance that I will have to enjoy Christmas with my family in Virginia.

That said, I seriously cannot remember my last Thanksgiving at home. It must have been well over a decade now since I ate Thanksgiving dinner with all of my family. Thinking about that makes me homesick and long for that opportunity once again. I honestly do not recall the last time I was home for a Thanksgiving or Christmas Day. I think my last Christmas in Virginia was in 1996, which was my first (and subsequently only) return after going off to college in Tennessee. The only other Christmas I can remember being home was when Joy and I surprised my mother, which nearly caused her to have a heart attack.

Sharing custody of Gabriel prohibits me from coming home for Christmas because I will have him from 12/23 until 12/25 about 2pm, or from 2pm on 12/25 through 12/27. There is no way for Jen and I to catch a plane in order to arrive in or leave Murfreesboro in time to enjoy Christmas in both places. Luckily, Jen's family has been quite gracious and made me feel at home with them during the holidays. I have given up on having a Christmas in Virginia for the foreseeable future.

This year seemed like another of the same in regards to the holiday season until a week ago whenI realized that I had requested time off on the Wednesday prior through the Monday after Thanksgiving. Therefore, I will be able to have a family holiday back in Virginia. Jen and I are both quite excited because this is the first time that we will be able to se my entire family together for a purpose other than to come by and visit with us while in town. I will get to eat my favorite foods from many of my aunts: pigs in blankets from Aunt Lilly, chocolate pie from Aunt Barbara, and pecan pie from my mom.

Moreover, this will be the only opportunity for everyone to see Jen while pregnant with a protruding belly signifying the long awaited addition to the family. It really makes me happy knowing that I will get to experience some of her pregnancy with my entire family. I have missed out on so many things since I have been away: weddings, the birth of countless children from several cousins, and as rumors have it- an engagement of my cousin Lonnie Jr. (which was another telling sign of the presence of God!) as well. I hope to be able to cradle the new babies, play with the older ones, catch up with cousins, and show my appreciation for my aunts and uncles who created so many wonderful memories of holidays past.

We will also be able to be a part of a more recent tradition: Thanksgiving at William and Jennifer's house. It will be great to catch up with everyone there as well. We haven't been to their place before, so it will be nice to visit with them for an afternoon.

Finally, I hope to have the chance to spend some time with my closest friends from childhood. Chad now lives in Washington D.C and hopefully will be back in Virginia Beach to be with Becky's family. Brad still lives in Virginia Beach, so hopefully we will be able to get together for an evening.

Hope to see you all soon!

Can't wait to see you all soon!


1 comment:

Chel said...

I love that you will be home for Thanksgiving. We've had so many new additions since the last thanksgiving you came...lots of kids and babies, Barbara's kitchen has been redone, I'm bringing David and maybe we'll meet Lonnie's girl. As for the food, there's much more of it: mom makes mac and cheese now, I make corn pudding and Laura makes delicious wine cake. I'm sure mom will be happy to shop the sales with you and Jen on Friday too -- I've retired from the black Friday madness so she'll be happy to have someone to go with. See you soon, love you!