Monday, August 24, 2009

Footstompin' Music

Going way back to find the boys of Grand Funk Railroad being appropriate for this post...

I thought I would start giving you my thoughts on something that I feel passionate about: music. Before I start, I should clarify the above statement- these posts will generally be about lesser-know artist that many of my readers will hear within the next year on your radio station of choice or used in television series, or films. These artists are the antithesis of what is currently being spewed on the mainstream airwaves solely for the pleasure of a youth with too much disposable income. You will not get any of the mind-numbing, inanely simple creations of home studio pop that is currently on the airwaves, which brings me to my favorite quote in the past several years in regards to today's so-called music:

"Any idiot with a computer and a keyboard can make a T-Pain record." - unknown athlete discussing music while being interviewed as a guest on the Jim Rome Show

The music you will learn about in these upcoming blogs will likely find their ways to public appreciation for being true to their craft. I have been purchasing numerous albums over the past several years by artist that have finally gained the deserved acceptance of the listening public. To list a few of these examples in that have occurred in the past:

Jason Mraz- Best Album: We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things- the tongue-twisting words and melodies are legendary on his past 3 albums
James Morrison (Pop/Rock)- Best Album: Songs For You, Truths For Me- a young UK artist most-known for "Broken Strings," with Nelly Furtado
Mat Kearney (Pop/AAA)- Best Album: Nothing Left To Lose- most notably, his song "Breathe In Breathe Out" was used in "Grey's Anatomy"
Matt Nathanson (Pop/Rock)- Best Album: Beneath These Fireworks- received huge airplay with his song, "Come On Get Higher"
The Raconteurs (Alt. Rock)- Best Album: Consolers of the Lonely- a supergroup spearheaded by my generation's lone musical genius- Jack White
Kings of Leon (Rock)- Best Album: Only By The Night- the Nashville-based group has achieved popularity in the UK more than the US

I would encourage anyone to review any of these albums and dare disagree that this is not some of the best music in their perspective genres.

Therefore, I cannot start out with the most recent material. Instead, I will have to go back a little bit to make sure some of these lesser-know artists get some great publicity. I will try to post some of theses several times during the next several weeks. Also- it would not be fair to require me to continue my self-imposed requirement to title my blogs after an appropriate songs, but I will continue that on regular blogs... In case you would like to get ahead of the class, take a listen to the following artists and their respective albums:

The Gabe Dixon Band - Gabe Dixon Band (Pop/AAA)
Sounds Like This - Eric Hutchinson (Pop/Rock)
Hope for the Hopeless - Brett Dennen (Folk/Rock)
Horehound - The Dead Weather (Alt. Rock
My Old, Familiar Friend - Bendan Benson

I have given a lot of homework out and class is soon to be in session, so I suggest you get listening. Comments and thoughts are welcome! If you have any questions about today's lesson, please feel free to ask...

Goodnight!

m

1 comment:

webgirl said...

when are you going to send me some mraz? oh and i think you should visit October 13 and see the bravery with me.