Friday, August 14, 2009

Sweet Child O' Mine

Nothing like a little Guns N Roses to start off the next post...

Jennifer is 15 weeks pregnant as of today. We are going to have a 3D ultrasound tomorrow to finally find out if we are having a boy or a girl. Initially, we were scheduled to go on Monday, but we really wanted Gabriel to be there for the event. It is important to be as involved as possible and he is as excited as we are.

We are going to make an event of it. We will be traveling to Franklin tomorrow midday to eat at my favorite restaurant, Noshville! If you have not been there, it is the closest thing to a NY-styled delicatessen as there can be in the south. The best food and cheesecake imaginable. Afterward, it on our way to 4-D Peek to see the baby.

Just so you know, Jen has even bought a couple of girl outfits! I keep daring her to keep buying things for a girl as if it will jinx her- "Go ahead and buy it, honey." Then adding a wry comment after the fact like: "Just be sure to keep the receipt!" That said, EVERYONE is hoping for a girl. Everyone in Jennifer's family. Everyone in my family. Everyone, except Gabe and I. We are sticking together and this is shaping up just like we like it- us against the world! Gabe wants a little brother and I want another boy too. Why? Because I am afraid of having a girl...

Everyone tells me that daddy's LOVE little girls. They say girls cling to their fathers and fathers adore their daughters. Fathers will do anything to make them happy. They cannot get enough of their daughters and I always hear that a man's life will never be the same. That is EXACTLY what I am fearful about!

With Gabriel, I do my best to treat him like a little man. As an example, I recently taught him how to use my power drill as he helped me rebuild our fence. He loves helping me change the oil the cars and motorcycles as well. As he gets older, I will teach him how to be a gentlemen to women and a leader of men, holding steadfast to the foundation being laid on a daily basis.

With a daughter, I turn into a pushover. The easy mark for a daughter to get what she wants, even if Mom has told her "no" already. I have seen glimpses of this over the past two years while coaching Gabriel's baseball team. Last year, there was a beautiful girl named Kaylee that stole my heart. She had long flowing blonde hair, brown eyes, and was always smiling and have a great time. She made me melt without even trying. I commented to Jen at that time that having a girl wouldn't be so bad if she was like Kaylee...

This year, I had a very shy, introverted girl named Claire on our team that was very quiet. I did everything I could to make her open up and by the end of the season, she was awesome to be around. However, Sloan was my pride and joy this year. Each week she would come to practice and games with her pink batting helmet and bat. She was adorable with her bows that she used to tie her sleeves up on her shoulder. More than just a pretty little girl, she was a remarkable player too! Very gifted athletically, she was chasing after the ball, scooping it up, and hurling it across the infield to get outs. She had graceful movements for a 6-year-old and thoroughly enjoyed playing. She never stopped hustling at a practice or game. She truly stole my heart. Sloan made me truly acceptant to having a daughter- as long as she was like Sloan...

We will be bringing home pics and videos of the event. I will post a couple online ASAP for all to see and enjoy.

Will post again soon!

m

2 comments:

webgirl said...

i can't wait to hear the news!

srogers said...

Even if you had had a girl you could teach her to use a drill and change the oil, too--always good for girls to know!