Friday, August 28, 2009

Undiscovered

This is the title-track of James Morrison song from his debut album seems appropriate for this blog. Here is a brief excerpt:

"You see the look that's on my face
You might think I'm out of place
I'm not lost, no, no, just undiscovered."

In an earlier post on August 16, I wrote that Jennifer and I had picked out our new boy's name: Jacob. Since that time, I have been scouring for a good middle name for him. I received several thoughts from those close to me an truly appreciate all of the support. Jacob Liam, the early favorite, has lost ground to Jacob Alex over the past week. I love Alex and always wanted to use Alex if I were to have a boy.

Strangely enough, Jennifer had called me downstairs for a brief chat before her early bedtime. I obliged her request, but was a bit unsure what this discussion could be about at this time of the evening. Se proceeded to tell me that she is starting to reconsider using the name Jacob, because she doesn't "feel" like a Jacob. Who am I to complain- she is the one carrying him. Am I to call her bluff? She is the only one that truly feels him. She was concerned because she wasn't sure how I would react to her thoughts. I told her that we have plenty of time to determine our child's name. We can surely look at alternatives and if we come up with something better, so be it. It's still a name we both like a lot, but we are willing to revisit the issue for a while longer.

The interesting part is we are realizing we have several stipulations that severely limits our options:

1. The name cannot end in a "-on." Too sing-songy.
- Jackson, Mason, Cason, Landon are out. Evan, Ethan, and Nathan are borderline...
2. The name cannot end in a "-er." Too blended with the last name.
- Tanner, Conner, Hunter have been nixed.
3. The name cannot start with an "R." Double R's just aren't cool (sorry, Dad!).
- Richard, Rex, and Rhett are out.

All this to say that we are making attempts to discover who this child truly is in the coming months. Only time will tell if another name leaps out at us in the near future. Guess James Morrison did sum it up the best: "I'm not lost, just undiscovered."

Your thoughts are welcome! I will continue to compile a list and comment on each one in the coming weeks.

Goodnight!

m

1 comment:

srogers said...

I'm still pulling for Jacob Alex. i like that!